Σελίδες

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, 12 January 2014

Irak: Londres rejette la demande d'enquête à la CPI pour crimes de guerre/Hague rejects call for prosecutions over alleged Iraq war crimes

Le ministère britannique de la Défense a qualifié d'"inutile" dimanche la demande d'enquête faite auprès de la Cour pénale internationale (CPI) sur de possibles crimes de guerre commis par des soldats britanniques en Irak entre 2003 et 2008.
Un cabinet britannique d'avocats et une organisation de défense des droits de l'Homme basée à Berlin ont annoncé vendredi avoir déposé une plainte commune auprès de la CPI. Ils ont demandé "l'ouverture d'une enquête contre des militaires britanniques de haut rang ainsi que contre les responsables civils, tout particulièrement l'ancien ministre de la Défense Geoffrey Hoon et le secrétaire d'Etat Adam Ingram, pour tortures systématiques et maltraitances sur des prisonniers en Irak entre 2003 et 2008".

Londres a rejeté dimanche ces allégations. "Ces questions sont soit en cours d'investigation ou ont déjà été traitées par différentes voies, y compris (...) via des enquêtes publiques indépendantes, des tribunaux britanniques et européen et le Parlement", a réagi le ministère de la Défense.

  • "Des actions supplémentaires via la CPI sont inutiles quand ces questions et allégations sont déjà connues du gouvernement britannique, que des actions sont menées et que des tribunaux britanniques ont déjà rendu leur verdict".

Le ministère a aussi rejeté "la suggestion selon laquelle les forces armées britanniques - qui agissent conformément aux lois nationales et internationales - aient systématiquement torturé les détenus. Mais bien entendu, le gouvernement britannique regrette le petit nombre de cas où des abus ont été perpétrés. Dans tous les cas où des allégations se sont révélées justifiées, nous avons indemnisé les victimes et leur famille".
Belga
http://www.rtbf.be/info/monde/detail_irak-londres-rejette-la-demande-d-enquete-a-la-cpi-pour-crimes-de-guerre?id=8174270
12/1/14 
-------------------------------------------


  • Hague rejects call for prosecutions over alleged Iraq war crimes
Foreign secretary says it is not necessary for ICC to investigate claims against British politicians and senior military figures.
 
William Hague has dismissed a bid to trigger prosecutions of British politicians and senior military figures over alleged war crimes in Iraq.
The foreign secretary said there was no need for the International Criminal Court (ICC) to investigate allegations of UK forces abusing and killing detainees in their custody.
There had been no "systematic" torture by troops and individual cases had either already been dealt with by the British authorities or were the subject of inquiries, he said.
The head of the army, General Sir Peter Wall, former defence secretary Geoff Hoon and former defence minister Adam Ingram are among those named in a 250-page dossier sent to the ICC, according to the Independent on Sunday.
Human rights lawyers have drawn on the cases of more than 400 Iraqis, arguing they represent "thousands of allegations of mistreatment amounting to war crimes of torture or cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment". They describe incidents ranging from "hooding" prisoners to burning, electric shocks, threats to kill and "cultural and religious humiliation".
Other forms of alleged abuse between 2003 and 2008 include sexual assault, mock executions, and threats of rape, death and torture.
The formal complaint to the ICC was lodged on Sunday by Public Interest Lawyers and the European Centre for Constitutional and Human Rights.
It calls for an investigation into the alleged war crimes under Article 15 of the Rome statute.
The dossier says "those who bear the greatest responsibility" for alleged war crimes "include individuals at the highest levels" of the British Army and political system.
UK military commanders "knew or should have known" that forces under their control "were committing or about to commit war crimes".
It also argues that "civilian superiors knew or consciously disregarded information at their disposal, which clearly indicated that UK services personnel were committing war crimes in Iraq".
  • However, Hague told Sky News: "These allegations are either under investigation already or have been dealt with already in a variety of ways, through the historic abuses system that has been established, through public inquiries, through the UK courts or the European courts.
  • "There have been some cases of abuse that have been acknowledged and apologies and compensation have been paid appropriately.
"But the government has always been clear and the armed forces have been clear that they absolutely reject allegations of systematic abuses by the British armed forces.
"The British armed forces uphold high standards and they are the finest armed forces in the world."
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/12/william-hague-iraq-war-prosecutions
12/1/14
 

No comments:

Post a comment

Blog Archive